Whether we are concerned for our own health and well-being or for that of our family, a healthy diet and some regular exercise can help us to feel good - both physically and mentally.
Active kids are happy kids - they like to be running around and having fun. The trouble is, today they’ve got other things to do and plenty of reasons not to go outside to play or run around. Even at school they’re sitting for much of the day.
It’s important to try and do activities that really get their hearts pumping. This can be things like jumping, skipping, dancing and running. Not only does it make them feel good, it also keeps their bones healthy and encourages muscle strength and flexibility.Going swimming is also a great option - it uses every muscle group and is great for cardiovascular fitness.
Research shows that regular exercise can improve your health, confidence and quality of life. Exercise is a great stress buster, it can help you lose weight and will lower your risk of developing major illnesses.
The benefits of physical activity include:
- better health
- more energy
- reduced stress
- stronger bones and muscles
- better balance, strength, suppleness and mobility
- improved sleep
- improved body shape
- reaching and maintaining a healthy weight
- a sense of achievement
- more independence in later life
Recommended activity levels
- Adults: 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity at least five days a week.
- Children: 60 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity each day.