For the cake:
275g/10oz unsalted butter
225g/8oz digestive biscuits, crushed
½ tsp. ground ginger or ground cinnamon
For the filling
1 x 397g can of sweetened condensed milk
150g/6oz caster sugar
3 bananas, peeled
225ml/8floz double cream, lightly whipped
3 tbsp. grated chocolate
Preparation Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 - 3 minutes (2 - 3 hours chilling time)
Serves: 7 - 8
- Melt 100g/4oz butter in a pan over a gentle heat. Take off the heat and stir in the biscuits and spice.
- Press the biscuit mixture around the sides and base of a loose-based flan tin. Chill for 20 – 30 minutes until set.
- In a on stick medium pan put the milk, sugar and remaining butter. Over a very gentle heat dissolve the sugar before bringing up to the boil, stirring all the time. Stir until the mixture turns and pale golden brown colour then pour into the prepared case. Leave to get set and cold.
- Slice the bananas and arrange half on top of the caramel. Put a quarter of the bananas into the whipped cream and spread ontop of the caramel.
- Decorate with the remaining bananas and grated chocolate. Serve in slices.
The secret to a perfect caramel is to cook it slowly and make sure you stir the mixture all the time. If you don’t it will get stuck on the base of the pan so the mixture will have brown flecks in.