Banana Crepes Suzette
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 300ml/1/2pint milk
- Grated rind 1 orange
- 1 tbsp. butter melted
- A little oil for frying
- For the filling
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 75g/3oz caster sugar
- 2 bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
- 175g/6oz fresh or canned pineapple
- 4tbsp. rum, orange liqueur or brandy
- A little grated lime or orange rind
Preparation Time: 10 minutes, plus standing time
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
In this recipe we use bananas in place of the traditional style recipe using oranges.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Beat in the egg and half the milk until it forms a smooth batter. Gradually, beat in the remaining milk with the orange rind and melted butter. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Lightly oil a frying pan over a medium heat. Pour in enough batter to cover the pan and cook until golden brown. Turn over and cook the other side. Use the remaining batter. Stack on a plate, with layers of kitchen paper between each one. Keep warm.
- For the filling, melt the unsalted butter in a pan Add the sugar and the fruits then bring to the boil, stirring for about two minutes. Place 1 pancake at a time in the syrup and fold into quarters. Place on a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the alcohol to the remaining syrup and flambé carefully. Reduce until thicker then pour over the pancakes. Serve warm with the lime or orange rind and fruits.