10 Banana and Pineapple Life Hacks You Need to Try This Spring
It won’t surprise you to hear that we love bananas... and pineapples, too! And guess what? They don’t only taste delicious they are also the star of some really awesome beauty and interior design tips and household hacks. Put simply: it’s always good to have bananas and pineapples in the house!
After reading our banana and pineapple life-hacks we’re pretty sure that you’ll love them even more. Read on to discover helpful hints to make your life easier...
How to make the little ones eat their fruit? Simple: Make it look fun! Did you know you can draw on and decorate the skin of bananas just like you can with Easter eggs? Since you are not going to eat the skin you can use regular felt marker, or go all out with food coloring.
Sure, pineapple décor is all the rage but have you ever tried the real thing? Yes, that’s right: you can use a real pineapple as a vase or fruit salad bowl – and you don’t even have to do the dishes afterwards!
For a pineapple vase cut the pineapple horizontally just below the crown and hollow it out. Fill a plastic container with water and flowers and place it in the hollowed-out pineapple.
For a salad bowl cut the pineapple vertically and hollow it out. Cut up the inside and other fruit like you normally would and place the salad in the pineapple. A fruit salad has never looked this delicious
Shine on you crazy Banana
Believe it or not banana peel actually doubles as shoe shiner. Rub the inside of the banana peel on the shoes like you would with a normal shiner and watch the magic happen. (This trick can also be used on dull plant leaves and silverware!)
Bananas for Beauty
Bananas aren’t just delicious but they’re also a beauty all-rounder! Here’s just two ideas on how to give your hair and skin the banana boost.
For a nourishing banana treatment simply mix
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 spoon of olive oil
and apply the mask to your wet hair. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then rinse it out with cold water. The mixture is a little sticky so it might take two or three rinses.
For a glowing skin face mask mix
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 spoon of honey
and apply the mixture to your face. Wait at least 15 minutes before wiping it off.
We’ve all been there: you have all the ingredients at home except one! However, you won’t ever have to run to your neighbour again when it comes to missing eggs. You can replace them with mashed bananas as easy as one two three! The only side effect? Your cake might taste a little sweeter.
Grow Your Own Pineapple
Granted you need a little patience for this life hack, but yes, you can grow your very own pineapple!
- Let the pineapple crown dry for a few days.
- Put it in a glass of water until you see it sprouting.
- When its sprouts are at least a few centimeters in length plant the pineapple crown in a pot with soil.
- Like any other plant your pineapple crown needs to be tended to. Watering it once a week should be enough. You can also use fertilizer to help the growth.
- Wait! This is the most difficult and longest part as it may take 18 months or more for the pineapple to grow.
If you want to make sure it works, click here to discover more interesting details! Have fun and good luck!
Bye Bug Bites
By now you know banana skins are a true allrounder. Apart from making things shine they can also help relieve the itchiness you get from a nasty bug bite. The inside of banana skin helps sooth the itch and speed up the healing process. Try it!
Unfortunately, it’s oh so easy to overcook the meat or chicken on the BBQ. But fortunately, the remedy can be just as easy! Cover your BBQ meats with banana peel and you will be surprised at how juicy they can be. Don’t forget to grill the banana itself for a delicious dessert. Here’s just one recipe for a yummy banana boat.
- 1 banana
- A handful of marshmallows
- Bits of (dark) chocolate
- Piece of tinfoil big enough to wrap the banana
- Cut the banana vertically, but not all the way through, so that it is still in one piece.
- Place marshmallows and chocolate pieces in the opening
- Wrap banana in tinfoil and grill for at least 15 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap and enjoy!
Do your little ones keep asking for a sweet treat? Is your vegan friend coming over and you don’t know what snack to offer? Banana Ice Cream – or "nice cream" – to the rescue. All you need is frozen bananas and a high-speed blender.
- Peel bananas, cut them in small pieces and put in the freezer for at least several hours if not a whole day
- Take out frozen banana pieces and blend them in a high-speed blender until they become a smooth mixture.
- Enjoy your dairy-free ice cream!
For extra flavor you can add frozen berries, cinnamon or cacao powder.
Halloween is still a little while away, but Jack O’Lanterns have become spring ready in form of carved pineapples. It doesn’t always have to be a scary face. Get creative and your tiki garden party will surely be the talk of the neighbourhood!
Are we missing any great hacks? Please share them with us on Facebook