Banana Spring Rolls
- 100ml sunflower oil, for frying
- 3 sheets filo pastry
- 60g dulce de leche
- 3 bananas, halved widthways
- Chinese five-spice powder, for sprinkling
- coconut ice cream and toasted black sesame seeds, to serve
- Warm the sunflower oil in a saucepan, or heat your deep-fat fryer to 180C. Meanwhile, cut each sheet of filo pastry in half vertically.
- Spread 2 tsp duche de leche over a halved banana. Sprinkle over some five-spice, then put the banana at the bottom of a halved filo sheet. Roll up and around the banana, folding in the sides with each roll so that they look like a spring roll. Brush some water across the final seam to seal. Repeat with the remaining banana halves. You can do this up to a day ahead, or make and freeze for up to a month.
- Deep-fry three rolls at a time until crispy and golden, then place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Slice in half and serve with coconut ice cream, scattered with toasted black sesame seeds.