Banana-Stuffed French Toast
- 1 firm, ripe banana
- 180 ml cream
- 180 ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- four 1-inch-thick slices white bread
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Maple syrup to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 180° C
- Cut banana into thick slices
- Whisk together milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Cut bread slices horizontally almost in half, leaving 1 edge intact. Stuff each pocket with 4 to 6 banana slices. In a baking dish just large enough to hold bread slices in one layer, arrange slices and pour the custard over them. Soak slices, turning them over once or twice to allow the bread to absorb all liquid, about 15 minutes.
- In a 12-inch non-stick pan melt butter over low heat until foam subsides and cook slices until golden, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Dust French toast with powdered sugar and drizzle with syrup.