Caramelised Banana Pancakes
This take on classic banana pancakes from our Fyffes Great Banana Bake Off celebrity judge Donal Skehan is sure to inspire many #FyffesGBBO22 contestants.
To find out how you can enter the Fyffes Great Banana Bake Off 2022 search for #FyffesGBBO22 on Facebook or Instagram.
- 200g (1 5/8 cup) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 220ml (1 cup) milk
- 2 large eggs
- A little butter, melted
- 50g (1/3 cup) toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- *** For the Caramelised Bananas:
- 75g butter, plus a knob (about 1 stick of butter)
- 100g (1/4 cup) golden syrup
- 8 mini bananas, halved lengthways
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- To make the pancake batter, put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Measure the milk in a jug and add the eggs. Whisk lightly to combine, then add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix until blended and you have a thick batter. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- For the bananas, put the butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer and bubble for about 3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Coat the bananas in a little sugar and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the banana slices and cook them on all sides until golden. Pour over the butter and golden syrup sauce and stir gently to combine. Set aside.
- To cook the pancakes, brush a warm frying pan with a little melted butter and pour in a small ladleful of the batter. The pancakes should each be about 10cm (about 4 inches) wide.
- Allow them to cook until little bubbles start to appear and the edges become a little dry, then turn over to cook for about a minute until golden brown.
- Serve immediately on warmed plates with the caramelised bananas and sauce on top, sprinkled with the toasted hazelnuts.