Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This special recipe is from Donal Skehan.
Join GBBO 2022, search #FyffesGBBO22.
- 100g butter, plus extra to grease
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 250g self raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt 3 large, very ripe, going brown bananas
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- 100g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan 160c. . Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with parchment paper.
- Whisk the caster sugar, 75g soft light brown sugar and the butter in a bowl with a hand held mixer until light and pale.
- Add in a little flour and one egg. Mix through, repeat with the other egg and the rest of flour, baking powder, vanilla and a pinch of salt until everything is mixed through and smooth.
- Peel the bananas and mash two of them well with the back of a fork. Add to your cake mixture and stir through along with the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour the mix into the prepared loaf tin, slice the remaining banana in half
- Lengthways and arrange on the top of the loaf. Sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar then place in the oven for approximately 50-55 minutes. It should be risen, golden and a skewer comes out clean when the banana bread is ready. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.