Fyffes Fairy Cakes
- *** For the sponge
- 2 eggs
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g golden granulated sugar
- 175g self raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- *** For the icing
- 125g icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/gas 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake liners.
- Put all of the sponge ingredients into a large bowl. Mix together, either with a wooden spoon or an electric hand mixer on low speed just until everything is combined.
- Divide batter between cupcake cases then bake for 18-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave to cool on a rack for about 10 minutes, then remove fairy cakes from pan and leave to cool completely on wire rack before icing.
- For the icing, combine icing sugar, vanilla and 1 tbsp of the milk together in a small bowl, mix until completely smooth. Add another 1 tbsp of milk if consistency is a bit too thick.
- To finish off fairy cakes, drop a slightly generous ½ tbsp of icing onto each fairy cake. If eating immediately, you can decorate with slices of fresh banana, but if for later, decorate with sprinkles or sugar flowers.