Fyffes Teriyaki Chicken Burgers with Pineapple
These burgers are also perfect for hotter months when you can cook on a barbecue.
- *** For the salsa
- 3 medium bananas, peeled & diced
- 2 small tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- *** For the burger
- Canola or sunflower oil, for cooking
- 4 slices pineapple
- 4 small chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper
- 8 tbsp teriyaki barbecue sauce
- *** To serve
- 4 burger buns
- Teriyaki barbecue sauce
- Banana relish (see above)
- For the salsa, combine all ingredients together in a small bowl, toss together then set aside until needed.
- For the burgers, trim away skin from pineapple slices, and optionally, use a small round cutter to remove the core.
- Heat a large skillet or pan on medium high heat. Brush pineapple slice with oil then arrange in the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 3 minutes on either side. Remove and set aside. (These can be cooked at the same time as the chicken if you have a large enough pan or are cooking over a barbecue.)
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper then use a rolling pin or something suitably heavy to flatten chicken breasts to about 2cm high.
- Brush chicken with a bit of oil then arrange in the pan, season the tops with salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and turn chicken over, cook until chicken is firm and there is no pink in the middle, about 5-6 minutes.
- Baste each burger with 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce then turn over. Baste with the remaining teriyaki sauce.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a bit of teriyaki sauce on the bottom half of each bun, place lettuce on top then the cooked chicken burgers and a slice of grilled pineapple .Finally, top with a few spoonsful of banana relish. Cap with the top of the bun then enjoy while still hot.