While most of our Fyffes Gold pineapples are grown on our own farm in Costa Rica, we also partner with our favourite growers in Costa Rica, Panama and Ecuador to provide a consistent year-round supply. Wherever the farm, our commitment is that our Fyffes Gold Pineapples are always of great quality.
the Queen of tropical fruits
The pineapple is indigenous to the Americas and was known by the Guarani Indians as ‘nana, the excellent fruit’. In 1493, Christopher Columbus “discovered” pineapples on the island of Guadeloupe and named them “Pina de Indes”, or pine of the Indians. Fyffes Gold Pineapples are of the Super Sweet variety. These are grown in Costa Rica, Panama and Ecuador, which have an ideal climate so we can keep them available all year round.
The Pineapple Journey
Great fruit starts with great farms
How are pineapples grown?
The most common method is to plant the pineapple crown (called the ‘seed’) in a bed of well-prepared soil. Each seed only produces a single pineapple and to ensure quality, the plants get constant pampering from our expert growers. They also need the right conditions - they like it warm, but don’t like strong sunlight; they need rain but not too much. The ideal temperature is between 18 and 32 degrees. It takes 13-14 months before the fruit is ready for harvesting.
How are pineapples harvested?
Unlike bananas you cannot rely on size and colour to tell you when a Super Sweet pineapple is ready. The farmers regularly measure the sugar-acid ratio of the fruit and only when this is just right do they give the OK to harvest. As pineapples are prickly, harvesting requires great skill, care and some safety gloves.
The packing process
Once at the pack house, the fruit is washed and selected according to the highest quality standards – only the best will receive the Fyffes label.
How do pineapples get to you?
Pineapples are carefully packed and shipped by sea under temperature controlled conditions so that they reach their market in the best possible condition. This can take up to 14 days. In store, they may look a bit green on the outside but will be gloriously ripe and succulent inside!
Best to consume at home
Fyffes Gold Pineapples are ready to eat when you buy them! For storage, the refrigerator is the best place: Cut the pineapple immediately into chunks and store them in a bowl in the refrigerator. Best eaten within 4 days of purchase.
Grow your own Pineapple
Keep the crown from your Fyffes Gold Pineapple and place it upside down on a plate to dry out (this may take up to a week). Fill a small pot with a mixture of soil and 30% of other natural botanicals – compost. Press the crown down firmly into the soil. Add a little plant fertilizer to some water and gently dampen the soil around the crown. Pineapples are tropical plants and need a lot of sunlight and heat, so place your pot in a sunny spot and water it once each week. Add a little more fertilizer every two weeks.
Health & Nutrition
- Nutrient packed – Pineapples are loaded with vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, manganese and are also low in calories.
- Eating pineapples helps support healthy digestion since the fruit is a rich source of bromelain and dietary fiber. (Bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme – This enzyme has been proven to aid in digesting protein, breaking down fats, and reducing inflammation).
- Detox and Anti-inflammatory benefits – The bromelain in pineapples can also help to reduce joint pain, relieve arthritis symptoms and detox the body.
- Powerful Antioxidants – Pineapple is an excellent source of disease-fighting antioxidants that support the body’s regeneration of cells and may reduce the risk of chronic ailments like diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers.
- Regular consumption of pineapple can aid in good vision and supports eye health by reducing your risk of macular degeneration in the eyes.
Juicy and full of flavor, pineapples are uniquely refreshing, low in calories and rich in vitamins. Our Super Sweet variety has a wonderfully golden, succulent flesh.
Fyffes Gold Pineapples
Fyffes Gold Pineapples are of the Super Sweet variety. Grown in Costa Rica, Panama, and Colombia where the climate is ideal for growing pineapples, our Fyffes Gold pineapples are juicy, packed with goodness and have just the right balance of sweet and acidity. But, don’t take our word for it – try one!